Monday, February 2, 2009

Sally Walters Massey - In Her Own Words


This is my life:

I was born Zelda Walters (“Sally” is a nickname) 09-30-1927 in Polk County, Livingston, Texas. My father William Allen Walters married Ida Mae Munson. To this union was born four sons and four daughters. They maintained a devout religious background in our home. I graduated in 1944 at the age of 16 and attended Durham Business School. I was secretary to the Polk County School Superintendant’s office for 6 years. In 1946 I married Leveritt Massey, a native of Beaumont, Texas. To this union was born three sons. We have eight grandchildren and two great grandchildren. I was employed with Viltrup / Dearmond Insurance Company for two years. We then owned Grangerland Grocery for five years. I was then employed with Equifax for 13 years as a steno typist and head of the steno pool. They are fact finding organization for business decisions. I retired in 1983. we have entertained four foreign exchange students from Spain and France for summer vacations since 1990. We visited one of the families in France for ten days and plan to visit all of them five years ago was cancelled when cancer of the colon was discovered. We became personal friends with a Russian family from Kiev about ten years ago. We visited regularly for about a year, helping them with the English language. The first full sentence they learned was Matress Mac’s “Save you money.” We have friends in Wales and was there two weeks.
I enjoy my piano, organ, gardening, and quilting.
And I love my “club” members. [Cut & Shoot Volunteer Outreach Club]

No comments:

Post a Comment